Important Dates for Oral and Poster Submissions:
March 15- Abstract submission deadline for Orals and Posters - EXTENDED
NEW DEADLINE: April 17th
March 15 - Abstract fees must be paid in full* - EXTENDED
NEW DEADLINE: April 17th
May 1 - Notification of paper acceptance sent for oral and poster submissions
May 1 - Deadline for making changes to submitted Oral and Poster abstracts
May 11 - Deadline for all authors to be registered and paid in full*
May 11 - Deadline for all authors to have hotel reservation - presenting author's name must be on the hotel reservation system
*Paid in Full Deadlines - for those paying by check, the check must be received by ASHS Headquarters by this date.
**Please note: Purchase orders are not a form of payment.
- Oral and poster presentation submissions are accepted as the major forms of scientific communication at the conference. All abstracts, regardless of their presentation method, are subject to the same rules for submission and presentation.
- Abstract length is limited to 400 words. If your abstract is longer, the system will instruct you to reduce the number of characters before you can continue the submission process. Please use title casing, capitalizing only the first letter in each word. If you are pasting your abstract text into the submission site, please note that special characters and scientific symbols may cause translation problems. Review your submission carefully.
- Presentations must be made in English, as no translation service will be available.
- The Presenting Author for each abstract submitted must be clearly identified at the time of abstract submission.
- Abstracts should be informative. Those suggesting that the work is not yet completed will be rejected.
- A non-refundable abstract submission fee of $25 is due and payable at the time of abstract submission. All abstract submission fees must be received by
March 15. EXTENDED - NEW DEADLINE: April 17th
- Accepted oral and poster submissions will be organized by the Technical Program Committee into group subject matter based on preference indicated by the submitter. The Technical Program Committee shall have full authority to assign papers to appropriate oral and poster sessions.
- The Technical Program Committee shall have full authority to accept or to reject a paper upon evaluation of the title and the abstract. Rejection of a paper by the Technical Program Committee is final.
- An individual cannot submit the same material for two different talks. You must choose either a poster or an oral session. Only one presentation is allowed per person using the same data. If you want a poster and an oral session, the content of the material discussed must be different for each presentation and with clearly different abstracts.
- Changes to submitted abstracts can be accepted (including presenting author's name) until May 1st.
- No paper will be presented at the Annual Conference that has been given previously before another scientific society or that has appeared in print prior to the Annual Conference.
- You may only submit one abstract for an oral presentation. You may submit an unlimited number of abstracts for poster presentations. However, please do not submit the same abstract multiple times.
- Abstract submissions accepted by the Technical Program Committee will be published in the Program of the Annual Conference only if the presenting author is registered and paid in full by May11th. If the presenting author is not registered and paid in full by this date, ASHS will remove the abstract from the Program.
- All accepted oral presenters are offered the opportunity to have their presentation recorded. All recordings will be housed on the ASHS website indefinitely.
- Once accepted, all poster presenters are encouraged to create an E-Poster of their poster presentation and attach it to their poster abstract in the Speaker’s Corner.
- Authors are strongly encouraged, but not required, to give ASHS first option to publish papers presented at the Annual Conference of the Society.
- The abstracts of presented* papers will be published in an online supplement to HortScience in the fall of 2020. The supplement will be available through the HortScience electronic journal site. The file will be open access and paginated as a supplement, with each page number beginning with “S”.
The proper citation format for the abstracts is given in the example below:
Smith, A.B. and C.D. Jones. 2010. Cold hardiness of peach trees as affected by cultural practices. HortScience 45(8):S234. (Abstr.)
- The oral or poster papers must actually be presented (i.e. the presenting author must actually attend the conference and present his or her work), or the abstract will be pulled from the program and from the online supplement to HortScience.
- The poster must be hung and remain in place for the entire conference or the author will be considered a no-show. Presenters are prohibited from hanging their poster up only at the time of their presentation. ASHS staff go through the Poster Hall several times per day and monitor the absence of each poster. If your poster is not in place during all the required days, it will be considered as not presented, even if the author was present at the allotted presentation time.
* Please note: ASHS does monitor the actual presentation of both posters and orals. This is why it is important to make sure that all deadlines are followed and the presenting author is correctly designated in your paper.
If you have questions regarding the abstract submission process, please contact Negar Mahdavian.