ASHS Certified Horticulturist Program
The American Society for Horticultural Science will cease accepting applications for the Certified Horticulturist Examination as of December 31, 2019. The ASHS Board of Directors decided to terminate the program after 11 years of operation. The program will remain in Legacy status with ASHS. All current ASHS Certified Horticulturists will be able to retain their certification for 3-year intervals by meeting the requirements of attaining 30 continuing education units (CEUs) and paying the appropriate renewal fee. All other regulations regarding revocation of certification in the original application remain in effect for the duration of the certification.
The ASHS Certified Professional Horticulturist and Associate Professional Horticulturist programs are unaffected by this decision and remain in operation for qualified individuals.
BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR SKILLS
Let clients, consumers, and employers know that you possess the
knowledge and skills of horticulture by becoming a Certified Horticulturist.
ASHS Certified Horticulturists (CH) are practicing horticulturists who are skilled and knowledgeable in all areas of horticulture. Those with the ASHS CH certification are required to pass a rigorous four-hour exam based on the following areas of horticulture:
- Landscape Design and Maintenance
- Production of Fruits, Vegetables, Turf, and Ornamental Plants
- Shipping and Handling of Final Product
- Monitoring and Testing,
- Diagnosing and Managing Plant Problems
- Business Practices
To qualify to sit for the CH exam, applicants must have more than three years of experience or a combined level of experience and education. Continuing Education Units must be reported in order to renew certification.
Upcoming Test Dates, Times, and Locations
Certification exams are given at various times of the year around the United States.
|2019 Test Dates
Saturday, February 2, 2019
New York Botanical Garden
2900 Southern Boulevard
Bronx, NY 10458
January 27, 2019
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
Best Western Ramkota
During the Wyoming Groundskeepers and Growers Association Annual Conference
January 22, 2019
Friday, March 29, 2019
Alexandria, VA 22314
March 25, 2019
Sunday, June 9, 2019
Sheraton Orlando North
To be held during the FSHS Annual Meeting
July 16, 2019
Greater Columbus Convention Center
July 2, 2019
July 25, 2019
ASHS Annual Conference
Las Vegas, NV
July 15, 2019
Friday, October 4, 2019
1018 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
October 1, 2019
Wednesday, December 18, 2019
1018 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
December 1, 2019
If you would like to request an exam in a specific geographical area, please contact Angie Lower, email@example.com.
Fees for the Examination
ASHS Members—$160.00 Nonmembers—$235.00
Examination Eligibility Requirements
The ASHS Certified Horticulturist Board requires candidates to have a minimum of:
- three (3) years of paid full-time experience in horticulture, or
- a two-year degree in Horticulture and two (2) years of paid practical experience, or
- a four-year degree in Horticulture or a related field and one (1) year of paid practical experience.
By submitting your application, you authorize ASHS certification staff to contact the practical experience reference named on your application to substantiate your eligibility.
The ASHS Certified Horticulturist Program does not discriminate in determining eligibility on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law
Attainment of Certification
If you achieve the passing score and meet all other requirements, you will receive the designation of ASHS Certified Horticulturist and will be sent a certificate and an ID card.
Horticulturist's Certification Study Guide
146 pages, full color (second printing)
$45, plus shipping - Members
$55, plus shipping - Non-Members
Please allow 3 weeks for processing and shipping a CH study guide book within the United States. If you need it sooner, please choose for a faster shipping method in the shopping cart.
To order from the ASHS Online Shopping Cart: Click Here
Additional Information and Study Materials may be downloaded:
Download the ASHS CH Booklet
Download the ASHS CH Study Outline
Objectives of the Certification Program:
Provide an educational program that will improve technical competency of personnel in horticultural industries. Create incentives for these individuals to continue their professional development. Provide the public and those in government and industry with a means to identify those professionals who have demonstrated, through a professionally developed exam and education program, that they exhibit thorough knowledge of horticultural practices.
Developing the Examination
The certification examination was developed by a panel of industry experts representing all aspects of horticulture. Questions were derived from a Job Task Analysis Workshop attended by horticultural professionals from around the United States. This workshop was followed by an Objectives Ranking Survey, which ranked the importance and frequency of tasks identified in the workshop. A Certification Examination Blueprint was developed, followed by a Test Item Writing Workshop conducted with subject matter experts. Every test question generated was reviewed a minimum of three times by participants in two following Test Technical Review Workshops.
Format of the Examination
- The certification examination consists of 200 multiple-choice questions.
- Each question has four choices listed, only one of which is correct. The answer to each question can be derived independently of the answer to any other question.
- You will have 4 hours to complete the examination. It is always advisable to first answer the questions that are easy for you, skipping over those questions to which you will need to return to give more thought. Working in such a manner, you should feel no time pressure because 4 hours will be more than enough time to complete the examination.
- You must achieve an overall score of at least 71%. If you do NOT achieve a passing score, you must retake the exam. You will be allowed to retake the exam one time for $100 within one year of the original test date. After one year from the original test date, you must again pay the full exam fee of $160 for members of ASHS or $235 for nonmembers.
- Watch a video to learn about the format of the exam
Content of the Certification Examination
The CH Exam will test your knowledge on a range of topics. Try the Sample Quiz or select a specific topic:
Renewal of Certifications
The ASHS Certified Horticulturist designation is given by ASHS to those who:
- meet the eligibility requirements for admission to the examination as set forth in this application,
- maintain the necessary number of continuing education units (CEUs) to re-certify after 3 years, and
- pay the necessary re-certification fees every 3 years.
Additional Forms for Renewal:
Download the Continuing Education Units Reporting Form
Download the Renewal Form